THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST, but is inspired by the results of the 2016 Presidential Election.
A friend of mine stated this morning that this election shows that “coming together is going to be much harder than most hope.” I think my friend is right, but in response I suggested that most times hope alone won’t be enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I believe that hope has its place in the world, but I’m more interested in finding out what someone will do when hope alone doesn’t cut it.
Take a moment to think about who you are in these scenarios…
- Who are you when an outcome doesn’t end in your favor?
- Who are you when nobody else in the room is on your side?
- Who are you when it feels like your back is up against a wall?
- Who are you when you feel like you’ve run out of options?
- Who are you when the thought of quitting enters your mind?
Countless leaders before us had hope, but also never gave up when it came to fighting for what they believed was right, fair and sometimes humane. Whether you’re dealing with members of a club at school, a team you’re a part of at work or an interpersonal relationship with a family member or friend, I think it’s important to stand up for what you believe in, and more important that you never give up.
So who are you when the dust settles? Please comment and share your thoughts with me.